Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Why Worry?

I have heard worrying described as ‘Mourning an event that has not happed.’ The only thing I can be sure of is this moment, right now as I sit reading this. The future is not real it is only imagined, so why imagine the worst thing that can happen? Thoughts are creative and the very thing I fear I can make happen. If I drive down the road thinking, “I am going to have an accident” there is a high probability that I will have an accident, when the odds of my not having an accident are far greater than having one?

In worst case scenarios the odds of that actually happening are often less likely than a more positive outcome. So the approach I take is to say “There is a good possibility this won’t happen, but if it does then I will deal with when I get there.”

No comments: